Quote from: Trollheart on May 12, 2024, 07:47 PMI'll be honest, I have a lot to thank MB for. Over the roughly twelve years I was there I grew up musically, learning to listen to new things, and also learning that no matter how much I told people about my favourite artists, nobody wanted to know.
:shycouch:

MB failed due to a lack of interest and a kind of "lunatics have taken over the asylum" mentality, something Batty tried to bring here but was firmly slapped down and took his ball and went home. While there were some really great mods, some of them were, well, not great, resulting in people getting bullied and ostracised (nothing worse than being turned into a flightless bird) and the whole thing sort of collapsing under the weight of its own smugness and lack of interest. For all that, for a long time it was a great place to hang out and talk and argue, and just personally, I wouldn't be dissing it. It became what it became, which is a tragedy, but not necessarily its fault.

To paraphrase the series Red Dwarf: Music Banter is only guilty of being Music Banter. That is its blessing. It is also its curse.

I still think your best work was the stuff you did with Metal Month and the subsequent years after. Seeing your thoughts on a genre that you otherwise wouldn't have listened to much and giving your honest insight on various metal albums was certainly a treat. You've had a lot of great moments don't get me wrong but Metal Month to me was some of if not your best work. Or at least my favorite of the work you put in there.

Quote from: Marie Monday on May 12, 2024, 08:35 PMThe only tragedy here is your attempt to merge the Yorick skull scene from Hamlet with something called Red Dwarf
#MBdeservesbetter

(and please, scd was not even capable of firmly slapping down OccultHawk's flaccid little penis)

Educate yourself  ;)  (2:38)

Quote from: Key on May 12, 2024, 08:45 PMI still think your best work was the stuff you did with Metal Month and the subsequent years after. Seeing your thoughts on a genre that you otherwise wouldn't have listened to much and giving your honest insight on various metal albums was certainly a treat. You've had a lot of great moments don't get me wrong but Metal Month to me was some of if not your best work. Or at least my favorite of the work you put in there.

Thanks man, that means a lot, it really does.
Metal Month was great fun, but my god was there a lot of work in it! I usually had to start about three or four months prior, and to be honest it just ended up being more work than it was worth. I think another thing is that Metal Month III did not, if I remember, go quite as planned, with few comments and hardly any drama (must check back to confirm) and really, the insults flying, the "no you're wrong", the, how shall I put it, Frownlandisms that bounced off the walls like richocheting bullets of indignation and pomposity during that month were what made it what it was. When that stopped, Metal Month was a pale shadow of itself. And so was I.

But damn, it was fun while it lasted.

One of my other favourite (using the word advisedly) projects was my ill-fated journey into the world of boybands. Overall, I enjoyed that more than I hated it, and at least now I can say with the weight of knowledge behind me, boybands suck.

I do remember that the 3rd iteration wasn't received as well but I think that's just more of a result of the thrill of you jumping into a new genre had sort of gone away as opposed to the first one where it felt fresh and new. Not that it was a bad idea for you to continue it but it's definitely one of those things that the more you do it, the more stale it gets. That's sort of the nature of those things I suppose but I still look back at the first and even second iterations with fond memories. Some of the most fun I've had reading your thoughts and that's not to say everything else you do isn't fun. Metal month was special tho, no doubt.

#34 May 12, 2024, 09:28 PM Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 09:34 PM by Guybrush
Quote from: Trollheart on May 12, 2024, 08:53 PMEducate yourself  ;)  (2:38)
no

Did people think I was being serious with the diss track post? Ffs  :laughing:

Only God knows.

Quote from: Marie Monday on May 12, 2024, 09:28 PMno

Your funeral. Just showing you where I got it. If they robbed it from some baldy English guy in a ruff who liked to scribble occasionally, not my problem.