Quote from: FETCHER. on Feb 16, 2024, 12:03 AMYeah Jimmy's right, it's pronounced like the ladies name Carol 😂. There is not a single Scottish person that can say the male name Karl 🫣

That's funny, hard for me to imagine how they could sound the same. At least it's not as bad as Andrew Lincoln where he's doing an American accent. "CORAL!"

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Not quite the same but my granddad is from Belfast and would pronounce film like 'fillum'.

I am familiar with the Weegie accent so could guess what it would sound like.

Americans pronounce squirrel as squirl and mirror as meer?

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 16, 2024, 04:05 PMAmericans pronounce squirrel as squirl and mirror as meer?

Depends where you are. I think "meer" is a midwestern thing, not sure about "squirl". I pronounce both words with two syllables.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 16, 2024, 04:05 PMNot quite the same but my granddad is from Belfast and would pronounce film like 'fillum'.

I am familiar with the Weegie accent so could guess what it would sound like.

Yeah there's lots of similarities, we say fillum as well 😂. Northern and southern Irish accents are far superior though 😆

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 16, 2024, 06:23 PMDepends where you are. I think "meer" is a midwestern thing, not sure about "squirl". I pronounce both words with two syllables.

Yeah, Midwesterner here and "meer" is common. Though one of my regular acquaintances says that too and he was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona, so yeah I dunno.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Interesting, in Holland some people also do the extra syllable thing in a very similar way

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 16, 2024, 06:23 PMDepends where you are. I think "meer" is a midwestern thing, not sure about "squirl". I pronounce both words with two syllables.

The girl I know who says it is from Michigan.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Marie Monday on Feb 16, 2024, 09:28 PMInteresting, in Holland some people also do the extra syllable thing in a very similar way

Been meaning to show you this.

Thoughts?

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 16, 2024, 09:44 PMThe girl I know who says it is from Michigan.

Michigan is in the midwest, so that tracks.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 16, 2024, 09:46 PM

Been meaning to show you this.

Thoughts?

That's funny.

This is how we think of the Dutch in Norway.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I give mirror two syllables but I am guilty of pronouncing squirrel with one. Crayon gets two as well, but not orange. Caramel gets two or three depending on the context.

My grandma would say "roof" like "rough" and "soot" like "sut." She also called lunch dinner and dinner supper.

a particle; a fragment of totality

I can confirm that those videos are an accurate reflection of the Dutch spirit

Quote from: degrassi.knoll on Feb 17, 2024, 03:12 AMShe also called lunch dinner and dinner supper.

My grandmother used to do the same thing. I figured it was because she came from a time of such poverty, that dinner was never guaranteed, so by calling lunch "dinner", it was a psychological defense mechanism. If supper actually happened, it was a time to count your blessings.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 16, 2024, 04:05 PMAmericans pronounce squirrel as squirl and mirror as meer?

Actually, the correct American pronunciation is "meerOWnupmirrAAHH" :-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.