Quote from: ribbons on Nov 17, 2023, 05:46 PMYou can't ever love your children enough - you're a good dad, Tore.  I've poured all my unbridled affection onto my children and still do - whether they like it or not, lol.  But seriously, and luckily for me, they are pretty affectionate too and haven't outgrown it. 

Thank you, @ribbons 🙂 Your children must be thankful for having such a loving mother ❤️

Maybe it's not uncommon for those who have been a little touch/affection starved in childhood to try and make up for that later in life.

Quote from: ribbons on Nov 17, 2023, 05:38 PMIt's early days yet, but the person I've been seeing is very warm, personable and kind, not only to me but to everyone around him.  It's nice to be with someone so easy to be with.

He sounds like a nice guy 🙂 I think kindness is an often a much too underestimated quality today.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 AMThank you, @ribbons 🙂 Your children must be thankful for having such a loving mother ❤️

Maybe it's not uncommon for those who have been a little touch/affection starved in childhood to try and make up for that later in life.

He sounds like a nice guy 🙂 I think kindness is an often a much too underestimated quality today.

Thank you so much, Tore. ❤️ My children are wonderful to me, so I am very thankful for them.

I agree that kindness, true kindness that doesn't just seek advantage, is an underestimated trait.  I've never understood why some people view kindness as weakness.  I think it's a powerful force that has a lasting effect.

Quote from: Meatwad on Nov 17, 2023, 11:26 PMFrom the apology language quiz on the same website..............

Make Restitution
38%
Accept Responsibility
35%
Planned Change
15%
Expressing Regret
8%
Request Forgiveness
4%

Interesting.  I just took the Apology Language quiz too.  I found this one difficult, as I hate shaming people especially if they seem genuinely sorry.

My results:

Expressing Regret  40%
    Make Restitution  24%
    Request Forgiveness 16%
    Planned Change  12%
    Accept Responsibility 8%

"Expressing Regret" is the Apology Language that zeroes in on emotional hurt. It is an admission of guilt and shame for causing pain to another person. For those who listen for "Expressing Regret" apologies, a simple "I'm sorry" is all they look for. There is no need for explanation or "pay back" provided the apology has truly come from the heart. "Expressing Regret" is a powerful Apology Language because it gets right to the point. It doesn't make excuses or attempt to deflect blame. Above all, "Expressing Regret" takes ownership of the wrong. For that reason, "Expressing Regret" is understood as a sincere commitment to repair and rebuild the relationship.

The "Expressing Regret" Apology Language speaks most clearly when the person offering the apology reflects sincerity not only verbally, but also through body language. Unflinching eye contact and a gentle, but firm touch are two ways that body language can underscore sincerity.

Quote from: ribbons on Nov 18, 2023, 02:20 PMInteresting.  I just took the Apology Language quiz too.  I found this one difficult, as I hate shaming people especially if they seem genuinely sorry.

My results:

Expressing Regret  40%
    Make Restitution  24%
    Request Forgiveness 16%
    Planned Change  12%
    Accept Responsibility 8%

"Expressing Regret" is the Apology Language that zeroes in on emotional hurt. It is an admission of guilt and shame for causing pain to another person. For those who listen for "Expressing Regret" apologies, a simple "I'm sorry" is all they look for. There is no need for explanation or "pay back" provided the apology has truly come from the heart. "Expressing Regret" is a powerful Apology Language because it gets right to the point. It doesn't make excuses or attempt to deflect blame. Above all, "Expressing Regret" takes ownership of the wrong. For that reason, "Expressing Regret" is understood as a sincere commitment to repair and rebuild the relationship.

The "Expressing Regret" Apology Language speaks most clearly when the person offering the apology reflects sincerity not only verbally, but also through body language. Unflinching eye contact and a gentle, but firm touch are two ways that body language can underscore sincerity.

Im not into shaming people either so its not the apology per se that is important but a willingness for people to correct and amend behaviour. To be honest, its a bit of a strange quiz as I wasn't answering in terms of gaining restitution (surprising that this was my top result) and thought that the first two results should have been "Planned Change" and "Accept Responsibility".

Receiving Gifts - 33
Quality Time - 23
Acts of Service - 23
Words of Affirmation - 20
Physical Touch - 0

I've taken similar test before but found I had vastly different results this time around, and I believe I understand why.

Previously my primary love languages were Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, and Acts of Service all nearly tied. But now I see Receiving Gifts rising above them. I'm in a long-distance relationship across an international border which was closed for years due to COVID, and I only see them a few days each year. As such, it was important that Physical Touch not be a priority.

And in the last few years, I've been making my home a palace of inspiration surrounding myself with things which bring joy to my life. Little gifts serve as reminders of my relationship and help to curb my severe anxiety and complex trauma, so Receiving Gifts has risen in importance of late.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Words of Affirmation - 33%
Quality Time - 30%
Physical Touch -23%
Acts of Service - 13%
Receiving Gifts - 0%

I guess I really don't care about gifts lol

Quote from: Meatwad on Nov 18, 2023, 03:58 PMIm not into shaming people either so its not the apology per se that is important but a willingness for people to correct and amend behaviour. To be honest, its a bit of a strange quiz as I wasn't answering in terms of gaining restitution (surprising that this was my top result) and thought that the first two results should have been "Planned Change" and "Accept Responsibility".

Yes, I also found the quiz really difficult as in many cases I felt ambivalent about both answers and felt they had that shaming/holier-than-thou quality I dislike.

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Nov 18, 2023, 04:15 PMReceiving Gifts - 33
Quality Time - 23
Acts of Service - 23
Words of Affirmation - 20
Physical Touch - 0

I've taken similar test before but found I had vastly different results this time around, and I believe I understand why.

Previously my primary love languages were Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, and Acts of Service all nearly tied. But now I see Receiving Gifts rising above them. I'm in a long-distance relationship across an international border which was closed for years due to COVID, and I only see them a few days each year. As such, it was important that Physical Touch not be a priority.

And in the last few years, I've been making my home a palace of inspiration surrounding myself with things which bring joy to my life. Little gifts serve as reminders of my relationship and help to curb my severe anxiety and complex trauma, so Receiving Gifts has risen in importance of late.

That all makes perfect sense, ISB, and interesting and understandable how one's responses can change over time and circumstances. 

Quote from: SGR on Nov 18, 2023, 04:39 PMWords of Affirmation - 33%
Quality Time - 30%
Physical Touch -23%
Acts of Service - 13%
Receiving Gifts - 0%

I guess I really don't care about gifts lol

Same here - 0% Receiving Gifts as well, lol.  I've never cared much about gifts either, although they're appreciated.  The love and kindness are the top priority for me.

The apology language quiz was interesting - I find very few people are able to apologize appropriately and effectively in general.

Accepting Responsibility: 32%
Planned Change: 28%
Make Restitution: 20%
Expressing Regret: 16%
Requesting Forgiveness: 3%

This tracks. I'm always telling my boys "I accept apologies in the form of changed behavior." One of the most powerful things you can do working with kids is to admit when you're wrong, and to model taking accountability and moving forward constructively, and this is a lesson that has benefitted my personal growth tremendously.

a particle; a fragment of totality

^ Absolutely, and the key word you used there is to "model" taking accountability and moving forward constructively.  Serving as an example of how you wish or expect others to behave is very important, whether in dealing with kids or adults.  Sort of a "be the change you wish to see in the world" mentality. 

Words of Affirmation™
29%

Quality Time™
26%

Receiving Gifts™
19%

Physical Touch™
16%

Acts of Service™
10%

thats what I got

https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

#27 Nov 30, 2023, 08:57 AM Last Edit: Nov 30, 2023, 09:02 AM by fire
37% quality time
27% acts of service
20% words of affirmation
10% receiving gifts
7% physical touch

This quiz was strange, the wording was confusing, and sometimes the choosing phrase was not really correct because I wasn't interested in it.
My head doesn't work in English right now 😆

Acts of Service™
27%
Words of Affirmation™
23%
Physical Touch™
23%
Quality Time™
23%
Receiving Gifts™
3%

I've never really thought much about what my love language is. It would be interesting to know what my boyfriends is, I do think we differ 😂