Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2024, 08:08 AMI saw a documentary about a crew faking crop circles. It really was impressive what you can do with planks and rope. They made like a language and put a lot of thought into their designs. Then people they fooled were like "only an alien spacecraft could bend straw like this". Yeah, spacecraft or, you know, someone stepping on a plank apparently.

A keen eye can tell the difference between the fake ones and the real ones. Yes, there are some very impressive people that can do some very impressive things, but I stand by my previous post.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2024, 08:08 AMLike @grindy writes, the thing we definitely know about crop circles is people make them. They work hard at making them as mysterious as possible and frankly, they can become very good at it. By Occam's razoring, you can dismiss an alien explanation for this.

I understand, this is the kind of reasoning I would employ back when I was cold hard scientific reason. I am still cold hard scientific reason but I now realize a lot of my thought processes start with fear based denial. Ideas like this were presented to me as magical fantasy so I put up the big barrier of "No! Impossible! There's no magic!" Of course there is no magic but we need to open our minds to many concepts dismissed as magic and analyze and make them not magic.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2024, 08:08 AMAnd if aliens wanted to communicate, why the hell crop circles? There are much better ways than bothering farmers.

Because they don't have a canvas. When you realize drop charges can gently level light delicate plant life in a very precise way it becomes the most obvious place to present your artwork. They do not want to communicate. Yet. They want to be mysterious. They want to make us think. They want to make the more foolish of us frightened. You can't just land on a planet. You can't just land on a planet such as ours. We will fucking kill you if you land on a planet such as ours.

They also clearly understand the nature of beauty. This is a gradual process and simply coming down and communicating is not the most beautiful way to do this.

Quote from: robhr on Jan 29, 2024, 08:20 AMA keen eye can tell the difference between the fake ones and the real ones. Yes, there are some very impressive people that can do some very impressive things, but I stand by my previous post.

I understand, this is the kind of reasoning I would employ back when I was cold hard scientific reason. I am still cold hard scientific reason but I now realize a lot of my thought processes start with fear based denial. Ideas like this were presented to me as magical fantasy so I put up the big barrier of "No! Impossible! There's no magic!" Of course there is no magic but we need to open our minds to many concepts dismissed as magic and analyze and make them not magic.

Because they don't have a canvas. When you realize drop charges can gently level light delicate plant life in a very precise way it becomes the most obvious place to present your artwork. They do not want to communicate. Yet. They want to be mysterious. They want to make us think. They want to make the more foolish of us frightened. You can't just land on a planet. You can't just land on a planet such as ours. We will fucking kill you if you land on a planet such as ours.

They also clearly understand the nature of beauty. This is a gradual process and simply coming down and communicating is not the most beautiful way to do this.

Nah, it's not fear or denial. I'd absolutely love it to be aliens, I'm obsessed with mysterious and otherworldly stuff. But I don't let that wishful thinking distract me from the facts.

Quote from: grindy on Jan 29, 2024, 08:23 AMNah, it's not fear or denial. I'd absolutely love it to be aliens, I'm obsessed with mysterious and otherworldly stuff. But I don't let that wishful thinking distract me from the facts.

I assure you I don't do wishful thinking.

Nobody is turning anybody in this argument and nobody is landing in the middle, I'm done with it.

Thank you, though, this thread has given me material for another essay. When I show you these six main essays together I think I may be able to change your minds but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Again, I just sounded like a pompous ass all over this particular post, I'm sorry.

Anybody been following the jellyfish UFO or the nazca mummies. Or like just anything to do with aliens. Anybody find any of the news these days to be compelling or do you just write everything off as superstition. While I have a fascination with this stuff, I'm open to hearing both sides and would love to know what you all of think of this time of disclosure we are clearly living in.

#34 Feb 02, 2024, 12:19 AM Last Edit: Feb 02, 2024, 07:46 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: Thelonious Monkey on Feb 01, 2024, 12:48 AMAnybody been following the jellyfish UFO or the nazca mummies. Or like just anything to do with aliens. Anybody find any of the news these days to be compelling or do you just write everything off as superstition. While I have a fascination with this stuff, I'm open to hearing both sides and would love to know what you all of think of this time of disclosure we are clearly living in.

For a long time, I've been interested in the philosophy of skepticism and critical thinking. I won't get into the deets, but I'm trying to reduce the risk of me being wrong in my assumptions and hope that I am successful.

When it comes to jellyfish UFOs, mummies and corn circles etc. we know that humans can create all these things. I haven't personally seen any evidence compelling enough to make me feel like we actually need an alien or supernatural explanation yet.

In this video below, they go through some later footage. Some is balloons, another is skydivers, one is a bugs bunny or something helium balloon floating upside down.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I know this probably sounds condescending and that's not my intention, but I also live in a part of the world where this sorta stuff isn't a thing. People generally don't see aliens or cryptids here and when strange things happen, such as Hessdalen light sightings, most assume the explanations to be more down to earth.

It probably goes without saying, but I think perceptions are colored by culture and US culture seems very UFO-minded.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 02, 2024, 07:55 AMI know this probably sounds condescending and that's not my intention, but I also live in a part of the world where this sorta stuff isn't a thing. People generally don't see aliens or cryptids here and when strange things happen, such as Hessdalen light sightings, most assume the explanations to be more down to earth.

It probably goes without saying, but I think perceptions are colored by culture and US culture seems very UFO-minded.

Might also be due to the social circles you move in.

Quote from: grindy on Feb 02, 2024, 08:05 AMMight also be due to the social circles you move in.

Maybe. All in all, I've met one person who said he believes we are or have been visited by aliens and he is an occasional part of my social circle.

Highly likely in my opinion that other planets exist ,different maybe even than us, but life forms non the less..