Quote from: Guybrush on May 09, 2024, 08:06 AMYes, I have seen nature in England in places like New Forest and Dartmoor, but calling it wild would be a stretch and it's never far from something developed.

I actually find it somewhat astonishing. Norway is so rocky and mountainy, it's lacking in areas suitable for agriculture. There's not a lot of flat land and the soil layer is often thin. It might not be particularly nutritious, depending on where you are. A lot of Norway doesn't feel particularly human friendly or inviting.

The British isles seem to be Norway's opposite. No huge, jagged mountains. Most of England as well as much of Wales and southern Scotland is made of raised seabed rich with nutrients of the biota from ages gone.

It seems so lush, green and easy, like it wants people to live on it.

^ You clearly know what you're talking about! I didn't realize that even lowland Norway had poor soil quality, so yeah, the UK has been blessed in that regard. Still, we don't come close to providing all the food the population needs: the govt figure is an alarming 46% of food is imported.

Quote from: Guybrush on May 08, 2024, 07:48 AMThat's a very informative and worrying post, @Lisnaholic. Thank you so much for sharing.

^ Thanks for the kind remark, Guybrush.
Back in 2017, when I opened an Environment thread on MB, there were still a couple of hold-out voices suggesting that global warming wasn't happening, but now, with seven more years of accumulating evidence, I don't think anyone is in doubt anymore. Ultimately, that's bad news.

Thanks for checking the Agricultural Land link, guys :thumb:
I made the same mistakes as you, Psy-Fi, putting the USA at the top because of all those images of prairie farming in my head (Wizard of Oz, Days of Heaven, etc). It took Marie to remind me that I had overlooked those Rocky Mountains - so vast compared to the homely scale of Britain. In fact, when my students ask about England, I usually compare the countryside to The Shire in Lord of the Rings, even though that does miss out rather a lot of modern, urban Britain.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Anyone that is heavily invested in oil still thinks that global warming isn't happening.

I was this cool the whole time.