Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 18, 2023, 12:22 PMIt's something people write rather than say, but the use of "ppl" drives me nuts. Why do people do this? It's not like "people" is a long word.

There are several of those types of abbreviations that look daft to me. Typing "inb4" instead of just typing "before" is another example that makes me laugh.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 18, 2023, 01:01 PMThere are several of those types of abbreviations that look daft to me. Typing "inb4" instead of just typing "before" is another example that makes me laugh.

It's really strange when you consider that most people are using a device that autocompletes words too. If I type "pe", the first word that comes up is "people", so it's literally the same number of taps as "ppl".

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 18, 2023, 12:22 PMIt's something people write rather than say, but the use of "ppl" drives me nuts. Why do people do this? It's not like "people" is a long word.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3247492/Curry-lover-shocked-open-takeaway-order-restaurant-receipt-marked-MILD-WHITE-PPL.html

QuoteCurry lover is shocked to open takeaway order from restaurant to find receipt marked 'VERY MILD, WHITE PPL'

Look at the explanation they gave  :laughing:

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 18, 2023, 02:53 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3247492/Curry-lover-shocked-open-takeaway-order-restaurant-receipt-marked-MILD-WHITE-PPL.html

QuoteCurry lover is shocked to open takeaway order from restaurant to find receipt marked 'VERY MILD, WHITE PPL'

Look at the explanation they gave  :laughing:

They should switch to this: https://www.amazon.com/GINGER-PEOPLE-SAUCE-SWEET-CHILI/dp/B00EKEY7QK?th=1

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Fucking Daily Mail want me to turn off my ad blocker! What, the one that, you know, blocks your ads? Fuck off.
So can't read it. What was the explanation given?

While we're on the subject of the world's shortest words, I always go out of my way to write things like please instead of pls or about rather than abt, but you're right: the predictive text on most phones makes it almost harder to write the shorter version. My other sister has an annoying habit of using "de" instead of "the". I mean, it's a completely different non-word, and it has two letters as opposed to three in the actual word! How much longer, really does it take to write "See you in five minutes" rather than cu 5 min"?? How much in a hurry are people today?

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 18, 2023, 05:01 PMFucking Daily Mail want me to turn off my ad blocker! What, the one that, you know, blocks your ads? Fuck off.
So can't read it. What was the explanation given?

Owner Ruby Kandasamy said: 'I have investigated and can confirm it a misunderstanding.

'Under white ppl, we don't mean white people, but a white sauce made from milk, single cream, coconut milk and spices we add to our dishes when a curry is requested mild.

'Ppl means milk.

'However, we have decided to change the way we inform the kitchen and will mention "add white ppl" or "with white sauce" to avoid any confusion with our customers.

:laughing:

QuoteWhile we're on the subject of the world's shortest words, I always go out of my way to write things like please instead of pls or about rather than abt, but you're right: the predictive text on most phones makes it almost harder to write the shorter version. My other sister has an annoying habit of using "de" instead of "the". I mean, it's a completely different non-word, and it has two letters as opposed to three in the actual word! How much longer, really does it take to write "See you in five minutes" rather than cu 5 min"?? How much in a hurry are people today?

Isn't dat just a ting de Oirish people do when der onloyn?

Scots do something similar.

Only God knows.

What a crazy explanation! Thanks man. How in god's name does sauce become ppl? I smell a rat. Probably in the sauce.

As for "de", no, to be honest, I've never seen anyone else do it. Sure, it's how a lot of Irish people talk - "Pass de butter der ma will ye?" but they don't write it like that. Really odd. Even look at how much you have to go out of your way, as it were, on the phone keypad to type de instead of the..

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 20, 2023, 09:21 PMWhat a crazy explanation! Thanks man. How in god's name does sauce become ppl? I smell a rat. Probably in the sauce.

As for "de", no, to be honest, I've never seen anyone else do it. Sure, it's how a lot of Irish people talk - "Pass de butter der ma will ye?" but they don't write it like that. Really odd. Even look at how much you have to go out of your way, as it were, on the phone keypad to type de instead of the..

They are talking shit. I asked for extra white ppl in my curry and they told me to get out the restaurant.

Scots do that typing shit all the time, it's really annoying.

Only God knows.

- Side hustle

Only God knows.

- Going forward

Only God knows.

"Side hustle" and "going forward" are on my list of annoying sayings, also.

"Touch base with you later" from anyone who isn't a fucking American.

Also I hate "step up to the plate." I know that's baseball term and so I doubt many people who use it have any idea what it means. Tried to make a non-Americanised version popular - step up to the spot (penalty spot in football), which would make far more sense to us - got nowhere.

I hate people.

Touch base is also annoying when it's said by an American tbh

Quote from: Trollheart on May 03, 2023, 02:42 AM"Touch base with you later" from anyone who isn't a fucking American.

That phrase has always sounded odd to me. I'm not an American but I've been living in America for most of my life, so I'm familiar with American sports. Touching base during a baseball game is something that a player always does solo. It's not something that two players from the same team ever do together.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 03, 2023, 11:57 AMThat phrase has always sounded odd to me. I'm not an American but I've been living in America for most of my life, so I'm familiar with American sports. Touching base during a baseball game is something that a player always does solo. It's not something that two players from the same team ever do together.

Are you English? It's been doing my tits in for ages. Please solve the mystery!

Only God knows.