You're right, you're more in the ballpark of the anti-government right wing extremists than the Fox pundits. Thanks for the correction, Timothy.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 06, 2023, 08:09 PMI'm completely serious. Cis is hate speech and I'm not going to tolerate it. I know everything about what bigotry is growing up when I did in the deep south and can smell hate all over that word. I also know what happens when you let others "other" you they keep kicking and kicking until they're curb stomping your grandchildren. I'm not turning a blind eye to it. I call people what they want to be called. I expect the same.
yeah no you're making some big errors in reasoning there. Objecting when people 'other' you is fine, but 1. You can do that without pretending something is (as bad as) a slur when it's not (see my earlier post) 2. Pretending people calling you 'cis' in a derogatory way is comparable to racism and other severe discrimination (or that you can use those slurs in an equivalent way) is nonsensical and offensive. It's like saying it's fair to beat someone with a baseball bat as retaliation for being bitch-slapped

I'm sorry you feel like your identity is being attacked, Hawk. I will respect your wishes and not refer to you as such.

However I do not think it's comparable to a slur because it's not used to reinforce the discrimination and oppression of a marginalized group, nor has it ever been.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

QuoteIt's like saying it's fair to beat someone with a baseball bat as retaliation for being bitch-slapped

I actually have no problem with that at all. In fact, I think that's how it should be.

Cis male, is that a heterosexual male? I don't think it's a term I've ever encountered except in text on a forum. While I may be foggy on the definition, it doesn't seem like a slur to me. Isn't it just a neutral descriptor?

OH, how often do you encounter this term as a way to describe you and in what situations?

Happiness is a warm manatee

QuoteCisgender (often shortened to cis; sometimes cissexual) is a term used to describe a person whose gender identity corresponds to their sex assigned at birth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 06, 2023, 10:18 PM
QuoteCisgender (often shortened to cis; sometimes cissexual) is a term used to describe a person whose gender identity corresponds to their sex assigned at birth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender

Thanks Jans. I don't feel like this is a term that's been weaponized myself. I obviously haven't encountered it much.

never irl because everyone knows i'm a man

it's hate speech and sexist because it implies my manhood doesn't stand on its own

it's hateful because it's always used in contrast to trans people with the implication that i'm somehow an oppressor simply because i was born with a penis and grew from a boy to a man

it's the creation of a narrative that insists i'm lesser since that struggle isn't my own

if they want to call themselves men then they shouldn't hide from the default position of being a part of patriarchal oppression

and trans women can take up their womanhood with the terfs - good luck with that btw

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 06, 2023, 10:31 PMThanks Jans. I don't feel like this is a term that's been weaponized myself. I obviously haven't encountered it much.
I don't feel that it's been weaponized either.

#24 Feb 06, 2023, 11:34 PM Last Edit: Feb 06, 2023, 11:36 PM by Guybrush
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 06, 2023, 10:35 PMit's hate speech and sexist because it implies my manhood doesn't stand on its own

It used to be there were men and women. Now people are trying to accommodate, in language, that you also have a gender identity regardless of what size your gametes are (what your biological sex is). In order to also communicate gender identity, you need an extra word so that's apparently cis for when your identity conforms to your biological sex.

"Male" doesn't clearly communicate anything about gender identity, so to do that, you need something more. I don't see what the problem is.

Quote from: OHit's hateful because it's always used in contrast to trans people with the implication that i'm somehow an oppressor simply because i was born with a penis and grew from a boy to a man

it's the creation of a narrative that insists i'm lesser since that struggle isn't my own

if they want to call themselves men then they shouldn't hide from the default position of being a part of patriarchal oppression

and trans women can take up their womanhood with the terfs - good luck with that btw

It's a little hard to comment on the implication etc. as it's not an expression that's much used here or that I've felt targeted by.

It does sound useful, though. A problem we have in Norway is we haven't had a nuanced enough language about these things to communicate clearly whether we're talking about gender identity or biological sex. It makes discussions about it nearly impossible and always very heated.

in everyone of these examples cis is a slur - everyone of them suggests that their anatomy puts them on the wrong side otherwise why mention it

QuoteIn order to also communicate gender identity, you need an extra word so that's cos for when your identity conforms to your biological sex.

the word is trans

if cis means non-trans it's by definition exclusionary

Quotewhen your identity conforms to your biological sex

male female man and woman

you don't need a qualifier in that case unless they're trans just like you can assume people are norwegian and if they're not and you need to you point out that they're foreign

#28 Feb 06, 2023, 11:54 PM Last Edit: Feb 06, 2023, 11:56 PM by Marie Monday
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 06, 2023, 11:40 PM
QuoteIn order to also communicate gender identity, you need an extra word so that's cos for when your identity conforms to your biological sex.

the word is trans

if cis means non-trans it's by definition exclusionary
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 06, 2023, 11:35 PMin everyone of these examples cis is a slur - everyone of them suggests that their anatomy puts them on the wrong side otherwise why mention it
no. If you say you need a word for when sex and gender are different (trans) but you don't need a work for when sex and gender are the same (cis), you're saying that you only need a word for the former because the latter is the default option (your later post about not needing a qualifier is an example of that). In that way, you're othering trans people. that's exclusionary. the word cis exists so that cis and trans people are treated on an equal footing linguistically. once again: it'sn not a slur. please read the posts of everyone here who's tried to explain that. I'm getting tired of this but honestly my goal is not to attack you. I think this is an important subject and I think you should understand it

#29 Feb 07, 2023, 12:05 AM Last Edit: Feb 07, 2023, 12:07 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 06, 2023, 11:40 PMthe word is trans

Yeah, but if you're hanging with your trans posse and you wanna describe a dude as decidedly not trans, isn't it fine to have a word for that that's on equal footing as trans?

Edit:

As MM says, this is just linguistic equality. Anything else is othering trans people.