Like from the 40s to 60s, but I don't know where to start. Where do I start?

I mean where do I start after Sinatra?

In 2020 I got curious about exploring vocal pop from the 1930s to 50s. I recalled hearing that those classic standards were affectionately dubbed "The Great American Songbook" so I looked around for introductory compilations to survey the genre.

The Great American Songbook is the loosely defined canon of significant 20th century American jazz standards, popular songs, and show tunes. Wikipedia offers an itemized index of the complete Songbook here.

I don't know how you feel about compilations, as some purists would prefer to opt for genuine full-length LPs from the era itself, but I'll share what I found.

There is a record label called 100 Hits. They've issued over 200 box sets since 2007, mostly in the form of 5CDs showcasing 100 key works from countless genres and decades. I am uncertain how legitimate the label is, as it would need to clear licensing for thousands of recordings to issue the compilations legally, but researching the label they have an official catalogue on Discogs indicating that they are a UK sub-label of Demon Music Group Ltd.

The label issued a 5CD 100 Hits American Songbook compilation in 2016 with selections from Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Billy Eckstine, Doris Day, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, and many others. It may be a good place to start for a survey of the Songbook.

Here's the tracklist and release info.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Okay thanks, I am more interested in proper albums though.

You know, based on the little I know I'm not sure the album was as strong a format back then, so I don't know if you'll find many that are as varied and consistent as the rock classics we love from later decades. There's Sinatra's Wee Small Hours, which is famously a great album, but I suspect it was the exception.

What hooks me is the voices. None more than Julie London's... my mom's all time favorite singer 

I think she has some good albums too, remember liking this one

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Yeah, the album as we know it was not the most relevant format of popular music until the early to mid 50s, and even then albums were not conceived of as complete front-to-back cohesive statements, they were mostly just collections of singles and other unconnected songs thrown together.

It was also really common for many artists to do covers of the same standards that everyone else was doing, so across many albums by different artists there's a high chance that there will be a lot of different versions of the same songs.

I'd go the compilation route or sample some songs by various people and go deeper on the ones where you really like their voice or vibe.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I was going to mention Julie London but jadis beat me to it.

Roberta Flack, Dionne Warwick, Engelbert Humperdinck, Tony Bennett, and Tom Jones are a few more that come to my mind right now. 

If you want to take a turn away from big-name American soloists, dip into some South African bands and hear some beautiful pop harmonies like:-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Since Tom Jones was mentioned, I am obligated to post this. I legitimately love this cover.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

If you're looking for albums, I've got one. The beautiful John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. Johnny seranades with the best of them, the guy has an absolutely incredible voice.

It's probably not a conventional pick, but it's probably my favorite album that Coltrane's ever been involved in (Giant Steps being basically just as loved by me, but for different reasons)