We have a "what did you last watch" thread but no thread about upcoming movies that I could see. If there is one I missed, I can repost this in that thread.

Anyway, I'm super excited for the Barbie movie coming out next month on July 21st. It's gonna be a birthday date for us; as insane as it sounds my birthday is July 24th and his is literally one day later. We're planning on going to the theater in full pastel Barbie and Ken attire, bless the mister for agreeing to go along with that, haha.

It's gonna be the first time I've been to a theater since 2019, so I want to make it a special night since all the stars are aligned for late July. The movie itself looks delightful as well.

What are you looking forward to seeing?

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I got three new movies on my radar. They are:

• Asteroid City (by director Wes Anderson)
  • Beau is Afraid (by director Ari Aster)
  • Suitable Flesh (by director Joe Lynch)

I also know David Cronenberg's working on something, but I don't know the specifics 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee

This trailer does not look particularly promising but I'm too fascinated by the figure of Napoleon and what Phoenix would do with it to not go see it 

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

So... uh...

Our birthday movie date is now going to be a Barbie/Oppenheimer double feature, with me cosplaying Barbie as we had planned and him cosplaying Oppenheimer. I both admire and am a bit amused by the mister deciding to see an entire second movie just for the sake of a meme, haha. I'm not gonna complain though, he looks damn good in a suit after all.  :love:

Oppenheimer is also on my want-to-see list 🙂

Cool that you're going costumed! I never did, really, although I wore a cowboy shirt to Brokeback Mountain.

Quote from: jadis on Jul 10, 2023, 04:04 PMThis trailer does not look particularly promising but I'm too fascinated by the figure of Napoleon and what Phoenix would do with it to not go see it 

It doesn't look promising? What the hell? I thought it looked amazing.

#6 Jul 14, 2023, 11:44 AM Last Edit: Jul 14, 2023, 11:48 AM by DJChameleon
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jul 11, 2023, 05:37 PMSo... uh...

Our birthday movie date is now going to be a Barbie/Oppenheimer double feature, with me cosplaying Barbie as we had planned and him cosplaying Oppenheimer. I both admire and am a bit amused by the mister deciding to see an entire second movie just for the sake of a meme, haha. I'm not gonna complain though, he looks damn good in a suit after all.  :love:

Show us pics please with mister permission of course. Blur his face or something.

I have this strong feeling Barbie is going to be a lot darker than most people think. Can't wait to see it personally.

I'm hyped for this blaxploitation movie coming out on Netflix.

They cloned Tyrone. It comes out July 21st.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 14, 2023, 11:44 AMShow us pics please with mister permission of course. Blur his face or something.
Absolutely! I already have the pink gingham dress I plan on wearing, but unfortunately my curling iron broke a while ago so I'm gonna have to just try my best with the hair.

And I think he should be fine with putting a blurred pic on here, as long as it's quarantined to the secret forum. He's approved my posting of my own selfies so I don't think there will be a problem.

Quote from: TheBig3 on Jul 14, 2023, 02:07 AMIt doesn't look promising? What the hell? I thought it looked amazing.

Looks packed with Hollywood cliches, no? What pissed me off was the music though

Quote from: TheBig3 on Jul 14, 2023, 02:07 AMIt doesn't look promising? What the hell? I thought it looked amazing.

Same. One of the few movies I'm actually looking forward to right now.

Quote from: jadis on Jul 14, 2023, 03:08 PMLooks packed with Hollywood cliches, no? What pissed me off was the music though

I'm okay with some Hollywood cliches if they do the story justice and Phoenix puts on a great performance.

Quote from: SGR on Jul 14, 2023, 05:12 PMPhoenix puts on a great performance.

His acting in the trailer feels a bit stilted. I thought anyway.

Quote from: TheBig3 on Jul 16, 2023, 06:38 PMHis acting in the trailer feels a bit stilted. I thought anyway.

Maybe, but I'm willing to bet that's more a result of the way the trailer was edited and put together than Phoenix's performance.

Learned about a new film called The Sound of Freedom from this meme

QuoteAfter rescuing a boy from ruthless child traffickers, a federal agent learns the boy's sister is still captive and decides to embark on a dangerous mission to save her. With time running out, he quits his job and journeys deep into the Colombian jungle, putting his life on the line to free her from a fate worse than death.

^Not entirely sure I get that meme / joke, but I do love the movie Happiness which the movie still is from 🙂

I think the irony is in the juxtaposition of what seems like a pedophile hunter vigilante ethos of the new film and what this character represents in Happiness...

All this Barbie talk reminded me how much I used to love Greta Gerwig. Francis Ha is the closest millennials have to our own Annie Hall, I think

And Damsels in Distress is, for me, one of the most charming films ever made. I know that many find it annoying but it just melts my heart

Haven't really followed her more recent output though