the book i read came with a cd of their music - one of the chefs where i was a cook was real into his restaurant and what they accomplished in terms of the culinary arts and business model if you can call it that

I signed up for a discussion group of The Last of Us at my work so I just watched the first three episodes, and honestly so far I'm astonished that this show is getting so much praise. The flashback scenes of the first two episodes were decent, but otherwise it's been kind of a chore to get through. The characters are flat, the plot is predictable, the scares are non-existent, and even the much needed chemistry between the two leads is sadly lacking. The fact the "Massachusetts" scenes look absolutely nothing like Massachusetts (they were shot in Alberta) is also super distracting to me, though it would bother me a lot less if the rest of the show wasn't so lackluster. I'm still going to try to make it to the end of the season because of the discussion group, but I'm not optimistic.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jan 21, 2023, 03:43 PM
Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 18, 2023, 12:15 AMSay, what are you watching there?

Yesterday, we saw the first episode of The Last Of Us which impressed me. Definitely a promising start! I felt kinda done with zombies a long time ago, but now I'm hungry for more.

Besides that, we're watching White Lotus, a comedy/drama about staff and visitors at fancy resorts/hotels. First season is in Hawaii and we just started the second which takes place in Sicily.

First season started a little slow, but turned interesting towards the end, although it bugs me a bit how almost none of the characters really seem to enjoy their vacations :laughing:

I couldn't make it past the first episode of that show, but the music Cristobal Tapia de Veer created for it is amazing. The whole soundtrack is on Spotify and well worth a listen, like all of his music.

I wrote a large article about it elsewhere. I watched it to the end and I bloody hated it. I don't want to spoil it for Guybrush, but my god, the disparity at the end regarding who gets the shit end of the stick! Come back to me when/if you finish it and see if you feel the same. Awful, awful show. And it got a second season! And won Emmys! The world's gone mad. Newsflash, duh.

We decided Your Honour season 2 was going nowhere so now we're watching The Last of Us.

#19 Feb 28, 2023, 06:28 AM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2023, 06:49 AM by Janszoon
Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 18, 2023, 10:05 PMI signed up for a discussion group of The Last of Us at my work so I just watched the first three episodes, and honestly so far I'm astonished that this show is getting so much praise. The flashback scenes of the first two episodes were decent, but otherwise it's been kind of a chore to get through. The characters are flat, the plot is predictable, the scares are non-existent, and even the much needed chemistry between the two leads is sadly lacking. The fact the "Massachusetts" scenes look absolutely nothing like Massachusetts (they were shot in Alberta) is also super distracting to me, though it would bother me a lot less if the rest of the show wasn't so lackluster. I'm still going to try to make it to the end of the season because of the discussion group, but I'm not optimistic.

Still watching this godawful show for my discussion group. The most recent episode has made me realize that my biggest issues with it are that (a) I'm older than 13 and (b) I've seen other zombie shows and movies. My advice to anyone thinking of watching this show is the following: watch any George Romero zombie movie, 28 Days Later, Train to Busan, Shaun of the Dead, Pontypool, One Cut of the Dead, Zombieland, Kingdom, The Walking Dead, Dead Snow, or a million other examples of zombie-themed media. I assure you that 95% of them are better than this artistic chamber pot of a show.

I watched the season finale of The Last of Us which was as forgettable as the rest of the show. I'm happy I never have to watch another episode, but I have to figure out how to discuss the show in my group without raining on the parade of all the people who seemed to have enjoyed it. :laughing:

two themes i will not watch are zombies and superheroes

so sick of both

no twist on the themes will entice me - not even gratuitous sex and violence

There isn't even a twist on anything in The Last of Us. It's just Dawn of the Dead / Day of the Dead with an overly serious YA tone.

It is so bizarre to me that superheroes went from being the nerdiest of niches to probably THE most mainstream and widely popular form of cinema in the past 15 or so years.

I'm not a fan either, I only really like Batman because I grew up with the 90s movies and show.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 13, 2023, 02:13 PMThere isn't even a twist on anything in The Last of Us. It's just Dawn of the Dead / Day of the Dead with an overly serious YA tone.

those two said all that needed to ne said anyway

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 13, 2023, 02:57 PMIt is so bizarre to me that superheroes went from being the nerdiest of niches to probably THE most mainstream and widely popular form of cinema in the past 15 or so years.

I'm not a fan either, I only really like Batman because I grew up with the 90s movies and show.

i collected spiderman and plastic man comics

and liked superfriends and other superhero cartoons as a kid

i still think those things are cool but too much is too much

I thought the 1st and 3rd episodes of Last of Us were fantastic. 2nd and 4th were good. Since then, it hasn't been quite as good and the last episode felt very rushed and near pointless.

Still a strong show, I feel, though not quite as enjoyable as last year's House of the Dragon.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 13, 2023, 03:39 PMI thought the 1st and 3rd episodes of Last of Us were fantastic. 2nd and 4th were good. Since then, it hasn't been quite as good and the last episode felt very rushed and near pointless.

Still a strong show, I feel, though not quite as enjoyable as last year's House of the Dragon.

I thought TLOU was all downhill after midway through the second episode. I still need to watch House of the Dragon.

Let me just recommend Brassic to anyone who hasn't seen it. Four seasons with a fifth on the way. Basically follows the misadventures of a group of misfits, but has real heart and at times you'll piss yourself laughing at things that just happen out of nowhere, and even crying at some of the real drama in it. It's unpretentious, it's unapologetic, it fires f-bombs off like there's no tomorrow and its protagonists are all self-confessed losers, but by Christ is it funny! Make you forget how shit the world can be. You want to be cheered up, watch it.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 13, 2023, 02:57 PMIt is so bizarre to me that superheroes went from being the nerdiest of niches to probably THE most mainstream and widely popular form of cinema in the past 15 or so years.

Yeah I distinctly remember how one guy was really into X Man in my class and I had no fucking idea what he was on about. Which is exactly where I am today still. I tried watching the one where Robert Downey Jr plays a guy whose superpower, as far as I could follow, is being the coolest, most pussygetting guy who ever lived? I lasted about 20 minutes before giving up.

Is Blade part of the super hero thing? It was alright though not in my top 5 of Wesley Snipe flicks.

I like the two Tim Burton Batmans, the one with the Penguin and Cat Woman and Walken and the one where Nicholson is the Joker. The one with Val Kilmer was decent, the one with Schwarzenegger and Alicia Silverstone, which everyone loves to hate, was bad but not quite as bad as the 2000s revival, where all this comic book bs is played out in deadly serious tones for some bizarre reason. It's like a 14-year-old's idea of an art film.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism