Quote from: Suburban Placeholder? on Oct 16, 2023, 02:04 AM

This came out a couple of years ago but I only got around to watching this week.
This is great, this is Mike D & Ad Rock onstage in front of live audience going through the history of the band by telling stories and using video clips. They go through everything from their very beginnings as a punk band, their early fame, signing to and leaving Def Jam, The failure of Paul's Boutique and their rise again in the 90s, to the death of Adam Yauch, who is very much on stage with them in spirit. There's even a cameo by Steve Buscemi. Sometimes I could not believe the two well spoken middle aged men on stage were the same mouthy two kids who wrote the Licence To Ill album. Also it's directed by Spike Jonze.

I really enjoyed this, the 2 hours running time just flew by. 

I've been meaning to watch this as well, but kinda forgot it existed. They're a fun band with a fun history and for some reason, I also like some of the stories of bands and artists coming up in New York in the 70s and 80s.

Happiness is a warm manatee

LA Film Noir: The capital of Hollywood's most pessimistic era

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Aug 14, 2023, 02:22 PM

FIRST CALL - A documentary about people who drink in bars in the morning in New York City (2000)

Filmed in B&W which gives it a bit more of an old-school style documentary vibe.

I think I'll watch this soon.

Rewatching this tonight...

"Dada is not modern at all, it is rather a return to a quasi-Buddhist religion of indifference. Dada puts an artificial sweetness onto things, a snow of butterflies coming out of a conjurer's skull. Dada is stillness..."

— Tristan Tzara

One of the better documentaries on the life of a touring band.

Why You Do This

The U.S. East Coast: Florida - The Sunshine State

A trip up the coast of Florida from the Florida Keys to Amelia island with various stops and interviews along the way.

History of San Francisco (11 Episodes)

I just started watching this series covering the beginning of San Francisco in the 1800's up to the 1990's. Some of it was history that I already knew about but there's plenty more that I wasn't aware of. Lots of interesting info packed into each episode. 

The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress

FANNY: The Right To Rock

I watched this a while back and thought it was great. Fanny was a rock band started in the 60s by three Filipina-America women, and this documentary covers their career and their struggles to find their place in the music industry at the time. It was a fascinating look into an interesting band that I had never heard of before.

Watching this also introduced me to this awesome track by them:

This is what you want. This is what you get.

@Janszoon Nice! I discovered them a couple years ago through some uploads of their TV performances on the Beat Club Youtube channel but I never really dug in. These performances absolutely rip.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

@Lexi Darling Good stuff! I highly recommend the documentary. The woman playing keyboard in those videos is like this total enigma.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 27, 2024, 05:27 PM@Lexi Darling Good stuff! I highly recommend the documentary. The woman playing keyboard in those videos is like this total enigma.

Interesting! Well she certainly rocks the keys, whoever she is. I'll check it out if I'm able.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I believe one of Fanny dated Bowie for a brief period of time, and they also shared the same management.

Quote from: Suburban Placeholder? on Mar 03, 2024, 11:27 PMI believe one of Fanny dated Bowie for a brief period of time, and they also shared the same management.

Interesting. I remember reading something about David Bowie being a fan of the band but I didn't know there was more of a connection.