Quote from: Janszoon on May 11, 2023, 05:50 AMAfter the screen dropped, Ogre was dressed as a black robed specter, with the other person acting as a shadowy doppelgänger who kept look like he was trying to kill him. Then he took off the robes and was an X-Files style alien with glowing eyes, which gave me a sudden appreciation for Skinny Puppy's under-recognized sense of humor.

This is the exact experience I would want from seeing a Skinny Puppy show, haha. Glad you had such a great experience!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#16 May 18, 2023, 08:31 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 08:36 PM by Janszoon
Conan
with Thra and Bone Weapon

What a fucking show! I've seen Conan before—which I think was the last time they came to my city—and they were great. So I jumped at the opportunity to see them a second time, and again they were fantastic. For anyone unfamiliar, they're a doom metal band with a very heavy noise rock side to them. They describe themselves as "caveman battle doom", which is a pretty accurate description. Their music is stripped down, raw, and generally faster than most doom bands and they delivered every bit of the pummeling experience I was expecting. I had never heard second opener Thra before, but they were great as well—pure brutal death sludge/doom that was like a tank rolling over the audience. I'm looking forward to listening to more of their stuff. The first opener, Bone Weapon, were good as well. Before the show I overheard one the band members saying that this was like their third time playing a show, and watching them play I could see that they had things they still needed to work out, but they were still solid and I see a lot of potential in them.

For anyone curious, here's some live Conan from last year:

This is what you want. This is what you get.

The David Murray Trio

A couple nights ago I went to a newish jazz club/bar/coffee shop/record store near me and checked out The David Murray Trio. They're a drums/bass/sax combo who play what I would describe as free jazz rooted in hard bop. They were great. All three of them played flawlessly. David Murray's sax playing was generally the most experimental part of the music, but he frequently chilled on the sidelines and let the other two lay down some groovy awesomeness. I dug the new venue as well and ended up buying a Last Exit record before I left.

Anyway, here's a snippet of the show I was at if anyone's interested:

Off!
with Die Spitz

Went to this last night at a local church basement that's known for punk and metal shows. I hadn't been there since sometime before the pandemic, but it really hasn't changed. I'm not super into Off!—though I do like them—but I do love Circle Jerks and have never seen them live. So I jumped at the chance to at least see Keith Morris live. The show was really good and Keith has a hell of a lot of energy for a guy in his late sixties. The crowd was really high energy too and reminded me of the time I saw Subhumans in that same church basement a decade and a half ago. The opening band, Die Spitz were really good too—sort of in the same sonic ballpark as the first Distillers album. Reading up on them after the show, I was shocked to discover that they're barely out of high school and most of them literally learned how to play their instruments within the past three years.

Here's some Off!:

And some Die Spitz: