#60 Jul 10, 2023, 05:29 AM Last Edit: Jul 10, 2023, 05:54 AM by Janszoon
Probably not very well known, but Big Catholic Guilt were a pretty cool local goth/industrial type Boston band when I was in my teens. I just came across this EP while going through my old CDs tonight. It's 30 years old this year.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 12, 2023, 04:41 PMSpice Girls vs All Saints was a thing.

Spice Girls much bigger but All Saints had the better tunes imo.

Pure Shores was an amazing track as well. Just seen William Orbit produced it so that explains it a bit. Think he did some of Madonna's Ray of Light album, that was great too. Might even be her best album.

This one is so sexy

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Loved this one from Madonna when it came out.

Also, this Robbie Williams video, you could only see the full uncut version past 10pm. I was so excited when it came on.

Robbie has got some good tunes imo.

Only God knows.

He did have some good tunes, at least before he decided he was Frank Sinatra for some reason.

This is probably my favorite

Guys, this one's a classic.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jul 15, 2023, 12:43 AMGuys, this one's a classic.

When I was 19 I worked at a bagel shop and the piped in music mix they played featured that song in heavy rotation. I can't hear it without thinking of that place. I never knew who it was by until this moment though.

#66 Jul 15, 2023, 01:53 AM Last Edit: Jul 15, 2023, 01:59 AM by Guybrush
I listened to a lot of electronica in the 90s, including stuff I never really listen to these days.

Some examples:

For Kraftwerk, the original is older, of course, but this remix is from 1991.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 15, 2023, 01:43 AMWhen I was 19 I worked at a bagel shop and the piped in music mix they played featured that song in heavy rotation. I can't hear it without thinking of that place. I never knew who it was by until this moment though.

Is it a good thing? I love this song  8)

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jul 15, 2023, 02:04 AMIs it a good thing? I love this song  8)

It's neither a good thing nor a bad thing. It's impossible for me separate "Missing" or "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal from my memories of working at that bagel place. Neither one is a song that I'd put on a list of personal favorites, but I do like the feelings of nostalgia they both give me.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 15, 2023, 01:53 AMI listened to a lot of electronica in the 90s, including stuff I never really listen to these days.

Some examples:

What song is that and who's it by? I like it.

Alright, now you're speaking my language! I love FSOL, Juno Reactor and of course Kraftwerk. I didn't get into electronic music aside from what I was exposed to on the radio/MTV until the early-mid 2000s, and after I dove headfirst into the world of synthesizers I gained a much deeper love and understanding of electronic music of all eras.

So many great 90s electronic artists. Some of my favorites (focusing mostly on dance artists because if I listed all the ambient stuff I'd be here all day) would be 808 State, The Chemical Brothers, Underworld, The Prodigy, Moby, Orbital, The Orb, The KLF, Biosphere, The Crystal Method, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Plastikman, Hardfloor, Lords of Acid, Drexciya, Model 500, Jeff Mills, Octave One, A Guy Called Gerald, Portishead, Massive Attack, Hallucinogen, the list goes on of course.

Man, what a glorious decade for electronic music. I've got plans for tonight, but when we get home I'll add a few videos of some of my favorite 90s electronic tracks in particular.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jul 15, 2023, 02:24 AM...Lords of Acid...

I saw them live in 1997. They were fantastic, though I've never had my ears ring so badly after a show.

Yep, that was indeed We Have Explosive by Future Sound of London 🙂

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jul 15, 2023, 02:24 AMSo many great 90s electronic artists. Some of my favorites (focusing mostly on dance artists because if I listed all the ambient stuff I'd be here all day) would be 808 State, The Chemical Brothers, Underworld, The Prodigy, Moby, Orbital, The Orb, The KLF, Biosphere, The Crystal Method, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Plastikman, Hardfloor, Lords of Acid, Drexciya, Model 500, Jeff Mills, Octave One, A Guy Called Gerald, Portishead, Massive Attack, Hallucinogen, the list goes on of course.

Man, what a glorious decade for electronic music. I've got plans for tonight, but when we get home I'll add a few videos of some of my favorite 90s electronic tracks in particular.

That's a good list 🙂 Some of those bands were in my rotation too.

I also tried my hand at making my own electronic music around that time. You can probably hear some of these influences. This was me:

It is a little weird as I now mostly make acoustic music that sounds very different.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 15, 2023, 02:33 AMI saw them live in 1997. They were fantastic, though I've never had my ears ring so badly after a show.

Their debut still holds up in my eyes