Yes, @SGR has noticed my posting of XTC songs lately :) I have listened to them quite a bit, including Skylarking which I enjoy.

I have looked into them before, maybe around 15 years ago or so, but they didn't quite stick with me then. But for the last 5 year or so maybe, there's been an increasing amount of New Wave bands in my rotation so I guess my ears had ripened and were ready. On revisiting them, I've found a much greater appreciation.

An album I did check out back then was Drums and Wires, so I'm gonna re-explore that one a bit. Of course we all love Making Plans for Nigel, but I also quite like this one:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: SGR on Apr 30, 2024, 09:33 PMIf you've never heard their Skylarking record, it's 45 minutes very well spent. @Guybrush will back me up on that.  :)

^ Thanks ! I'll check that album out later today.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

I can't settle on whether I prefer Skylarking or English Settlement. XTC has a Beatles-esque quality to them with their mastery of pop song craftsmanship. They also were Beatles-esque in the sense that they became a studio only band because Andy Partridge eventually was overcome with his stage anxiety. I think if you combined REM with the Beatles, you'd get XTC. One of the most underappreciated 80s bands imo.

Quote from: SGR on May 01, 2024, 05:06 PMI think if you combined REM with the Beatles, you'd get XTC.
This is really very accurate. I had never listened to them but I like skylarking so far

Quote from: Marie Monday on May 01, 2024, 11:33 PMThis is really very accurate. I had never listened to them but I like skylarking so far

Thanks for confirming! I don't pull out analogies to The Beatles or REM incautiously.

XTC is one of those bands that did crack the mainstream a bit but remain, in my opinion, completely underrated/underappreciated on a broader level. Similar to Killing Joke or The Damned.

English Settlement is my favorite XTC album, love it

Quote from: Paul Smeenus on Today at 12:00 AMEnglish Settlement is my favorite XTC album, love it

Great album!

Now's as good a time as any to shout out @Suburban Placeholder? as the guy who put me on to both the album and the band via his top 100 album list on MB years ago!  :)

I've never heard anything Zach Hill was involved in that I didn't like and this is no exception

Quote from: SGR on Today at 12:11 AMGreat album!

Now's as good a time as any to shout out @Suburban Placeholder? as the guy who put me on to both the album and the band via his top 100 album list on MB years ago!  :)

Absolutely. His list was indispensable for broadening my tastes back in the late aughts. Introduced me to Massive Attack, Grandaddy, Stereolab, DJ Shadow and a bunch of other artists I love to this day.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Today at 02:43 AMAbsolutely. His list was indispensable for broadening my tastes back in the late aughts. Introduced me to Massive Attack, Grandaddy, Stereolab, DJ Shadow and a bunch of other artists I love to this day.

Same! Though by the time I got hip to it, it was the early 2010s.

The biggest find from that list for me was the Manics. I don't know if I ever would've discovered/listened to them naturally (as an American) otherwise. I ended up seeing them in Boston in 2014 during the 20th anniversary tour of The Holy Bible, which was then and now my all time favorite album - and of course, that was and is still my all time favorite concert I've ever seen.  :)