Good morning!

I've been using the internet since around 1996-97, so I experienced the evolution of online audiovisual entertainment in real time. I watched a lot of classic Flash stuff and other pre-Youtube videos back in the day, so why not make a thread to go down memory lane.

I'll count basically anything, Flash videos, animutations, YTMNDs, audio sketches you found on Napster, it's fair game. I'd prefer to keep it to stuff that originated in the pre-Youtube era, but early (2005-2007ish) YT vids can go here too.

I'll start things off with this classic from circa 2000.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Been nostalgic for the early filesharing era lately.

I think I was in 7th grade when I first heard this. The line "Did you just call me Kramit" still lives rent free in my head.

My dad showed me this back when I was probably like 10-11 years old. He and I bonded over weird stuff like that. One of my earliest memories with him is watching Ren and Stimpy together.

Another classic that is an example of the rampant mislabeling of songs back then. I've talked to people who still think this is by System of a Down, including the uploader of this youtube version. And of course attributing every parody song ever to Weird Al. Parodies were a big thing back in the Napster days; "Which Backstreet Boy Is Gay", "Bimbo No. 5", etc, and just typing those makes me very glad (most of) our culture has moved on from that style of humor.

Love the scene where he's running in the woods away from the camera in slow motion.

Art.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Oct 18, 2023, 06:33 PM

Love the scene where he's running in the woods away from the camera in slow motion.

Art.

That was amazing, somehow I'd never seen it. Crazy thing is I think if you slapped some autotune and 808 hi hats on that it wouldn't sound that different from a modern melodic trap song.

I remember that Sesame Street parody, @Mrs. Waffles 🙂

Some other random things I remember:

Because Tyson bit Holyfield's ear of course.

There was a lot of nerd rage directed towards Bill Gates in particular, I remember.

And just one of the random stupid things one might hear.

When flash series got big, I remember we watched Eskimo Bob as well as Homestar Runner (I think it was) and Strongbad.

I remember this went viral:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Homestar Runner was the best! I actually went as Homsar for Halloween 2003. "I'm a song from the sixties!"

And wow, the Arrogant Worms, that really takes me back. They had quite a few comedy songs that were really popular back then. I remember this song was used in some old internet video and I thought it was the most hilarious thing.

This randomly popped into my head earlier this evening. From early 2010 so pushing it as far as my original criteria for this thread, but I think it has a very old school internet irreverence to it.

The Terrible Secret of Space is a flash animation based on a prank ICQ conversation in which Something Awful creator Richard Kyanka convinced a stranger he was manufacturing space robots. The chat log also went onto inspire the catchphrase "Do you have stairs in your house?" which is used to identify other Something Awful users in public places.

(I'm like this all the time.)