May 03, 2024, 12:02 AM Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 12:11 AM by Trollheart
I'd just like to pause a moment and thank Tore/Guybrush for creating this new forum for us, and pointout that it is now over ONE YEAR OLD! And they said we wouldn't last! It is of course both due to him, and the faith you guys have put in both of us (I've done little but he insists on giving me credit) by essentially taking the metaphorical leap and abandoning Music Banter as it more or less abandoned us, that Something Completely Different has not only survived, but begun to thrive.

I'd like to share a post from Tore which was made in MB soon after SCD was created (note: emphasis is mine):

BUT! A forum is nothing without users. While a whole MB signup is too optimistic, we want to warmly welcome you and hope you'd like to check SCD out. Hopefully our features and growing community will make you want to stay.

The bolded no longer seems so unlikely or optimistic, does it? As we go from, hopefully, strength to strength, I'm sure we won't forget Music Banter, which was, after all, you could say where many of us grew up, made friends, and certainly where a lot of us learned a lot. But you could also say we outgrew the place, and with no oversight at all there and things really starting to stagnate and wither, we decided to create a place we could all enjoy and be proud of. Until we manage that, we'll have to do with this place!  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

Seriously, raise a glass and breathe the non-toxic air, and remember who to thank, as we wish Something Completely Different a

And here's to many more!
:beer:

I love this place and I'm so proud to be a part of the great community we've built here.

I joined Musicbanter on the morning of New Years Day 2023, when I was sleep deprived and hungover and needed to occupy myself somehow so I decided to give the forum a shot, in large part just to see what people would think about me being a 15-year lurker. It blows my mind a bit that if I'd been able to get more sleep on that day I might not have ever signed up.

All I can say is having SCD in my life is the best thing sleep deprivation ever did for me.

You all are the best.  :love:

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Well done for going for it. Glad it worked out.

Only God knows.

The earliest posts of yesteryear are actually from January, I believe, and desember on our test forum 🙂 Nevertheless, I don't mind celebrating a happy belated birthday, so grats to all 🥳

And also thanks for your kind words ❤️ Trolls, as usual, gives me too much credit. I firmly believe this place wouldn't exist at all without him. The fact it was two of us legitimised the whole thing and he's also forgetting the various discussions on policies, the forums, the name of it, etc. To me, I can make a new forum on the site in about a minute, but it's the discussing and figuring out if we need one that's the actual work. Trolls has a great understanding of online communities and in a way that's a bit different from my own and that makes him extra valuable as a sparring partner.

So thanks to you as well, old friend 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee

Congrats you two for having the foresight to start this up with the concerns that MB could potentially just be shut down one day randomly if it isn't making the head honchos money anymore, along with their hands off approach to moderation.

I was this cool the whole time.

#5 May 10, 2024, 09:49 AM Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 09:52 AM by Marie Monday
You sound like one of those people who has pragmatically married someone safe but dull (it's fine because you only quarrel passive-agressively with each other) and can't get their troublesome but exciting ex out of their mind 

I guess you are the type that views arguing with a spouse to be passionate and exciting like you thrive in chaos.

Well see what creative assumptions do you for. Absolutely nothing.

It gave me amusement and it was an analogy, not an assumption. I'm just poking fun at your post

Well happy to amuse you I guess. Did you think I was critiquing your work as a moderator on MB with my comment?

I was referring to the admin or lack thereof after Yac left.

Quote from: DJChameleon on May 10, 2024, 10:37 PMWell happy to amuse you I guess. Did you think I was critiquing your work as a moderator on MB with my comment?

Haha, we should get Yac to drop by.

I doubt I have it, but I'll check and see if I can find his email address.

Quote from: DJChameleon on May 10, 2024, 10:37 PMWell happy to amuse you I guess. Did you think I was critiquing your work as a moderator on MB with my comment?

no I didn't think you were critiquing me. The mods back in your time if anything

Quote from: Guybrush on May 10, 2024, 10:47 PMHaha, we should get Yac to drop by.

I doubt I have it, but I'll check and see if I can find his email address.

I mean, at that point you're just poking the bear. Just move on from MB and enjoy what you've created here. I see no reason to create a potential feud with another forum. Thinking this would be a positive move to contact the owner of the forum we moved away from is rather silly.

Quote from: Key on May 11, 2024, 06:20 PMI mean, at that point you're just poking the bear. Just move on from MB and enjoy what you've created here. I see no reason to create a potential feud with another forum. Thinking this would be a positive move to contact the owner of the forum we moved away from is rather silly.

Nah, Yac isn't MB's owner or currently affiliated with Advameg as far as I know. He's just a dude 🙂