https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Once again a beautiful view from my terrace today

A few photos from a local reptile park I went to a couple of months back. They also had an assortment of other animals including some bird enclosures.

#48 Oct 08, 2023, 01:54 PM Last Edit: Oct 11, 2023, 05:45 PM by Lexi Darling
I was in a nostalgic mood last night so I decided to rummage through some old nostalgic photos from my past, mostly taken by me. I could be quite the little photographer back in the day.

Spoiler
(Image removed)
My family's first cat, Rosalie. Probably taken around 1997-98. She was a neurotic little kitty who was honestly probably traumatized by us kids, but we loved having her around.

Autumn vibes, 1999.

(Image removed)
This was the lamppost from the house I lived in between 1991 and 2013. I think any one of these nature photos could be an album cover for some indie or midwest emo band.

(Image removed)
Looking out over the backyard of my grandparents' house. They were big bird lovers.

(Image removed)
10 year old me chooses my starter pokemon, 1999. Tough decision, had to sit down for that one.

(Image removed)
Yours truly, circa 1989-90. That green monster plush had a super unique texture I remember loving to squeeze as a kid.
[close]

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Norm: 'Ey!
Everyone: Who's that little old man?
Norm: Well, who is he?
Ringo: He belongs to Paul.

(I'm like this all the time.)

This is a lichen in bloom, growing on a corner of my roof. I spotted it one day and took a closer look to see what it was. I thought it looked interesting, so I took a pic of it.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Dec 10, 2023, 05:16 PM

This is a lichen in bloom, growing on a corner of my roof. I spotted it one day and took a closer look to see what it was. I thought it looked interesting, so I took a pic of it.

Nice one, @Psy-Fi 🙂

Lichens are quite interesting!

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Dec 10, 2023, 05:26 PMNice one, @Psy-Fi 🙂

Lichens are quite interesting!

That one in particular caught my eye. Not just because it was growing on a corner of my roof, but also because it was blooming and looked unusual to me.

I stumbled across this today while I was looking online for a door knocker. Somewhat amusing but how many people would actually put one of these on their front door?

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Dec 11, 2023, 02:58 PMI stumbled across this today while I was looking online for a door knocker. Somewhat amusing but how many people would actually put one of these on their front door?

HaHa! That's weird. Another question is who would actually use it ? If I was calling at that house, I don't think I would.

Why are issues that should've been resolved by now troubling us anew ?

There's apparently a drama in France about this painting, which was shown to a class of 11-12 year-olds:-

"...some pupils refused to look at a painting of nude women in class, sparking a teacher walkout."

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67691484

How this was not an issue in the past:
I went to an all-boys school and never in a million years would we have been shown that picture, on account of the tsunami of smutty remarks it would've generated. To refuse to look at the picture seems a pretty feeble response, but also, why can't teachers leave kids to do what they've always done: find pictures of nudes for themselves if they want to?

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Dec 13, 2023, 12:25 AMHaHa! That's weird. Another question is who would actually use it ? If I was calling at that house, I don't think I would.

Why are issues that should've been resolved by now troubling us anew ?

There's apparently a drama in France about this painting, which was shown to a class of 11-12 year-olds:-

"...some pupils refused to look at a painting of nude women in class, sparking a teacher walkout."

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67691484

How this was not an issue in the past:
I went to an all-boys school and never in a million years would we have been shown that picture, on account of the tsunami of smutty remarks it would've generated. To refuse to look at the picture seems a pretty feeble response, but also, why can't teachers leave kids to do what they've always done: find pictures of nudes for themselves if they want to?

My teachers used to take classes of us out to visit museums of various types when I was in school during my childhood. I can't remember how old I was when I first saw a painting similar to the one in that story, or if I might've seen it during a school outing, but that particular one looks quite mild to me as far as the nudity goes.

Before I clicked the link and read the story, my first thought was are the 11-12 year olds who complained about the painting, Muslims? The second sentence in the story confirmed my first thought. The teacher should've known that it would be considered inappropriate to show such paintings to Muslim children. Which leads me to wonder if the teacher was ignorant and committed a social faux pas or was the teacher deliberately being a provocateur?       

I think it's sometimes incredible how overly prudish people are. Everyone's got an ass and genitalia. Everyone's got breasts. How can a painting from ages past that depicts nudity be rationally considered too vulgar when the scene painted is not sexual, exploitative or otherwise obscene?

It's a bit like finding non-sexual National Geographic pictures from African tribes where women go topless vulgar.

Here, young people no longer dare to shower naked before entering the pool. They've become too prudish or something. I hope they still manage to wash their dirty butts.

All in all, I feel like many could benefit from being more relaxed about nudity and from not constantly sexualizing it.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Dec 13, 2023, 12:13 PMMy teachers used to take classes of us out to visit museums of various types when I was in school during my childhood. I can't remember how old I was when I first saw a painting similar to the one in that story, or if I might've seen it during a school outing, but that particular one looks quite mild to me as far as the nudity goes.

Before I clicked the link and read the story, my first thought was are the 11-12 year olds who complained about the painting, Muslims? The second sentence in the story confirmed my first thought. The teacher should've known that it would be considered inappropriate to show such paintings to Muslim children. Which leads me to wonder if the teacher was ignorant and committed a social faux pas or was the teacher deliberately being a provocateur?

Haha! Now you mention it, I also remember scurrying around museums looking for the "best" statues, etc.
As to the teacher's motivation in this particular case, I also wonder. Perhaps it was also an attempt to follow what, on its face, is quite a reasonable proposition: the kind of free-thinking educational idea, started in the 1920s, that kids should not be shielded from nudity, etc.   

Quote from: Guybrush on Dec 13, 2023, 05:26 PMI think it's sometimes incredible how overly prudish people are. Everyone's got an ass and genitalia. Everyone's got breasts. How can a painting from ages past that depicts nudity be rationally considered too vulgar when the scene painted is not sexual, exploitative or otherwise obscene?

It's a bit like finding non-sexual National Geographic pictures from African tribes where women go topless vulgar.

Here, young people no longer dare to shower naked before entering the pool. They've become too prudish or something. I hope they still manage to wash their dirty butts.

All in all, I feel like many could benefit from being more relaxed about nudity and from not constantly sexualizing it.

You have a real talent for pin-pointing the fundamental truths that lie at the heart of an issue, Guybrush. I've noticed it before, and this is an excellent example of the same. :thumb:

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Dec 14, 2023, 02:57 PMYou have a real talent for pin-pointing the fundamental truths that lie at the heart of an issue, Guybrush. I've noticed it before, and this is an excellent example of the same. :thumb:

Thanks Lisna 😊

It probably wouldn't take me long to get into trouble if I were a teacher. I'd be teaching sciences, but I imagine there'd be trouble with the old anatomy charts or something.

In my old uni, they had jars with brains, fetuses and other fun things.