For lack of a better title, haha. Pardon that and the unoriginal thread idea, but I thought I'd make a counterpart for @Hope 's "who's your daddy" thread. My mom is on my mind at the moment as she is going in to have surgery today.

So I ask you, who's your mommy?

My mom's biggest claim to fame was being an extra in a TV commercial as a kid circa 1954, which is kind of ironic as she told me her family didn't even own a TV at that time. She moved from her home of Brooklyn to Wisconsin in the late 1960s and worked in an upscale department store not far from where I grew up. She married my father at the very beginning of the 80s and had me at the end of the decade, leaving her job to become a stay at home mom after my sister was born a couple years later.

She has been a wonderful mentor to me in many ways, and I've had many deep philosophical discussions with her. She raised me on Nick at Nite and TV Land sitcoms, and I learned all about how to cook, how to keep a house tidy, and lots of little tips and tricks in the domestic area. Those are skills I use every day now, as I follow in her footsteps as a homemaker.

When I came out as transgender in 2004 she was always in my corner and always wanted the best for me, even though she didn't always understand everything about it. I still remember borrowing one of her vintage dresses from the 70s and wearing it to my high school when I first started presenting as a girl. I am grateful for her support for my transition.

She has been going through a lot of health issues lately, relying on various family members, including Mr. Waffles and I, to care for her in her time of need. She means so much to me.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

@Mrs. Waffles, I'm thinking of your Mom today and hope her surgery is successful and she recovers comfortably and fully afterward.  I am so sorry that she has been dealing with these health issues.  You are a wonderful daughter and comfort to her, and I know Mr. Waffles has been a support to her as well.

QuoteWhen I came out as transgender in 2004 she was always in my corner and always wanted the best for me, even though she didn't always understand everything about it. I still remember borrowing one of her vintage dresses from the 70s and wearing it to my high school when I first started presenting as a girl. I am grateful for her support for my transition.

I love this. Your Mom seems like such a cool and loving person!  Hmmm...I wonder who the lovely Mrs. Waffles takes after. :love:

#2 Nov 17, 2023, 06:49 PM Last Edit: Nov 17, 2023, 07:01 PM by degrassi.knoll
My mom was born in San Francisco on Haight Street, in the same house and by the same doula as her older sister and communal cousins. She dropped out of high school at 16 when she met my father, then 20, over the phone and he mailed her a plane ticket and a ring from Wyoming. My mom's high school boyfriend had moved to attend the University of Wyoming and my dad was his roommate. My mom would call to talk to Mike, but then started calling to talk to my dad.

I was born when she was 17 and my dad was 21.  She had my sister before she was 19. My grandparents despised my mom, and let her know it. She asked for a microwave for Christmas the year I was born and they gave her an exercise bike instead. To lose the baby weight.

My dad cheated and was abusive throughout their relationship, and ultimately left her to marry my stepmother after 6 weeks of knowing her. My mom fought hard for custody but had no one on her side, she eventually had to give up what would always have been a losing battle. She became pregnant with my little sister and suffered extreme PPD after giving birth, and had to make the decision to leave me and my sister in order to return to California and save her own life.

My dad and stepmother turned us against my mom, fed us stories and coached me to perform for the lawyers and judges and child therapists - every time someone would voice concern that their was something not right going on they would be removed from the case. I didn't see my mom between the ages of 8-18. We reconnected on MySpace when I was 17 and just about to graduate high school.

My mom got her GED and has worked in the administrative medical field for the past 20 years. Family is everything to her, and all she wants is to be loved. She's never been able to find the right person for a romantic partner, and from my perspective is emotionally stuck as a 16 year old that just gave up her entire life to move out of state and got knocked up by an asshole who was nicer on the phone.

a particle; a fragment of totality

My mom was a cross between Trump and Eunice from Carol Burnett.  Same frumpy dress, same overdone 40's hairstyle, but about 100 times the histrionics.  On the Trump side, she almost caught up with him telling whoppers.

Most of what I remember isn't stuff I want to remember but there are two stories about her that I do find somewhat humourous even though they're a bit shocking.

One day she walked up to the neighbour completely unprovoked and said "Good God, you're the ugliest goddamn woman I've ever seen in my life! You look just like Ed Sullivan!"  Poor lady, looking like Ed Sullivan and his Rilly Big Shoe.  I wish I could make up a line like that.  She didn't understand why the woman blackened her eyes.

The other concerns what life was like at my Grandmother's house.  The adults would sit at the kitchen table, whispering.  You'd be in the back room and hear about 10 minutes of "psst psst psst psst psst" and then suddenly someone would scream "AW BULLSHIT PATSY!!" (Patsy was her nickname and she didn't get that it was a backhanded insult.) 

My mom grew up in a Christian Pentecostal cult which traumatized her somewhat. She couldn't befriend boys, had to work for free and had nightmares from the speaking in tongues and other batshit stuff that went on there.

When her father died, she got out and got together with my dad. She's worked as a technical drawer (well, that's what we call it here) and as an accountant, held a side gig as a masseuse for a while (not a prostitute) and some other things.

Today, she's a lovely grandma who manages to keep a positive outlook on life despite some health problems. She's also a good cook ❤️ I know some of those skills come from a time when a girl here was expected to know how to slaughter and cut up a pig carcass.

Happiness is a warm manatee

My mom died in a car accident when I was 2 and a half. She was 27 years old. She had 3 children at the time and was pregnant with a 4th. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her during that time. She would leave me lots of places for various people I didn't know to babysit me for long periods. I have memories of screaming my face off when she would leave me (again).

My worst fear was that one day she'd leave me with someone and never come back. I was left at my grandmother's when the accident happened and she never came back. I don't know much about her except that she was creative and always looking for love.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Quote from: Hope on Dec 01, 2023, 12:13 PMMy mom died in a car accident when I was 2 and a half. She was 27 years old. She had 3 children at the time and was pregnant with a 4th. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her during that time. She would leave me lots of places for various people I didn't know to babysit me for long periods. I have memories of screaming my face off when she would leave me (again).

My worst fear was that one day she'd leave me with someone and never come back. I was left at my grandmother's when the accident happened and she never came back. I don't know much about her except that she was creative and always looking for love.

Such a tragic story, @Hope 😢🫂 Was your grandma a good mother to you?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Dec 01, 2023, 01:41 PMSuch a tragic story, @Hope 😢🫂 Was your grandma a good mother to you?

She was an abusive unloving cunt and I was delighted when she died when I was 14. Growing up I was never allowed to be with other kids after school. They weren't allowed in my yard and I was never allowed out. I never went anywhere or did anything. She was an agoraphobic and never once left our house the entire time I lived with her. She didn't know much about the world and didn't trust me out in it.

My brothers were taken away when I was 4 due to abuse and I was all alone after that. I didn't do well in school because to me that was social time. My only social time. Away from her. If it hadn't been the law I wouldn't have been allowed to go to school either.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."