Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 01, 2023, 01:49 AM
Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 30, 2023, 05:14 PM
Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 30, 2023, 02:30 PMI find it interesting but at this point in time it seems a bit underwhelming compared to the hype I've been hearing about it in the media.

spend an hour with it - if you already have then ok

How do I use it then?

just start asking it things

The link posted on the thread doesn't work for me.

Only God knows.

My worry about AI currently is it'll help turn future humans into idiots. If we leave challenges that require careful thought you to AI, where does that leave us?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 01, 2023, 10:02 AMMy worry about AI currently is it'll help turn future humans into idiots. If we leave challenges that require careful thought you to AI, where does that leave us?

idk but i love the gps and the calculator

before the gps i got lost a lot and i don't miss it

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 01, 2023, 02:18 AMThe link posted on the thread doesn't work for me.

This link doesn't work for you? Does it give you an error or something?

https://chat.openai.com/auth/login

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 01, 2023, 10:02 AMMy worry about AI currently is it'll help turn future humans into idiots. If we leave challenges that require careful thought you to AI, where does that leave us?

That's a very valid fear I think. If we become too reliant on it - and then at some point, we need to do tasks that we've been accustomed to having the AI do for us, how will we handle that?

I'm a software engineer - and even though I'm familiar with all the languages in our shop, there are plenty of applications that, if the primary creator of them wasn't around to deal with problems when they happen, it would take a good long while to even get up to speed with how they work - and this is just a bunch of code - the vast potential uses for AI will completely overshadow something like that in the mass application of its utility.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 01, 2023, 09:33 PM
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 01, 2023, 02:18 AMThe link posted on the thread doesn't work for me.

This link doesn't work for you? Does it give you an error or something?

https://chat.openai.com/auth/login

Tried it on a different browser and it worked but it wants my mobile phone number which I'm not gonna give it.

Shame cos it looks interesting.

Only God knows.

Not quite the same, but this is my beef about Alexa. People will get so used to saying "Alexa do this, Alexa do that" to the point where they'll forget how to turn on the fucking lights! I considered writing a story called "Alexa, Kill My Wife" in which an aware AI uses the Alexa to frame a guy for the murder of his wife. But I haven't yet.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 02, 2023, 05:37 PMNot quite the same, but this is my beef about Alexa. People will get so used to saying "Alexa do this, Alexa do that" to the point where they'll forget how to turn on the fucking lights! I considered writing a story called "Alexa, Kill My Wife" in which an aware AI uses the Alexa to frame a guy for the murder of his wife. But I haven't yet.

in that case you'd turn on the lights by telling alexa to do it

I love our automated lights and being to tell our assistant to control things etc, but by Darwin's beard does it seem to get stupider every day. This is Google assistant by the way.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 02, 2023, 05:50 PM
Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 02, 2023, 05:37 PMNot quite the same, but this is my beef about Alexa. People will get so used to saying "Alexa do this, Alexa do that" to the point where they'll forget how to turn on the fucking lights! I considered writing a story called "Alexa, Kill My Wife" in which an aware AI uses the Alexa to frame a guy for the murder of his wife. But I haven't yet.

in that case you'd turn on the lights by telling alexa to do it

Yup. And when Alexa runs out of power or someone knocks it off the table and it breaks, how then shall we illuminate our living space? What if the wifi goes down? I'd love to be able to program and then hack everyone's Alexa with a response that says, no matter what it's asked "Do it your fucking self you lazy bastard!"  :laughing:

I wonder if people said the same sort of thing about written language.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 03, 2023, 10:31 PM

I wonder if people said the same sort of thing about written language.

do you think in some ways they were right?

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 03, 2023, 10:53 PMdo you think in some ways they were right?

I think so. I've read things (haha) before about how people had much more developed memory abilities before writing came along.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

To continue the tangent about Alexa, I really dislike the Internet of Things (IOT) - why does a goddamn fridge need to connect to the internet? What's next? Should my mattress be geting software updates too?